Is Your Name Written in Heaven?
Introduction In this text Jesus urges His disciples to
recognize that even more important than the fact that the demons
obeyed them, and that they were able to perform miracles was the fact
that their names were “written in heaven.” In our adult class in Lenexa we recently noted a text in Jeremiah
7:13 which may serve as a constrast to this. Note: the unfaithful are said to be “written in
the earth”(perhaps indicating that their fate will be that of
punishment and destruction when the earth is destroyed as II Peter 3:10).
Yet, the disciples names are “written in heaven.”
What does this teach us? How can we have such a hope? Is there a record of
names that is kept in heaven? How can we be included in this record?
I. Is There a Record of Names?
- Moses’ plea (Exodus 32:31-33).
- “Book of remembrance” (Mal.
- The “Book of Life” (Rev.
- Those not recorded are cast into “lake of fire” (Rev. 20:13-15).
- It identifies those in the “New Jerusalem”
II. Whose Names Are There?
- Paul’s fellow-laborers (Phil.
- Those who overcome (Rev. 3:1-5).
- Those who do not practice idolatry
- Those who do not take from what is written
(Rev. 22:16-19) -- Those who labor for the Lord
- Those who overcome sin & temptation
- Those who reject idolatry
- Those who accept and follow God’s Word
III. Under What Conditions is a Name Written in Heaven?
- No special group -- simply the saved (i.e. those accepted by God in Christ).
- Obedience (Matt. 7:21-23; Rev.
- Faith, Repentance & Baptism (Mark
16:15,16; Acts 2:37-40).
- Faithfulness (II Peter 1:5-11).
Conclusion. What About You?
- Have you met these conditions?
- Are you obedient & faithful?
- Is your name written in heaven?