Volume 21, Issue 12 (March 24, 2019)
What Evidence Disproves the Theory of Evolution and Supports the Existence of God?
By Kyle Pope
This question was posed on the church website. Let’s answer this question in two parts. First there are a number of things which support the existence of God. Let me offer three:
1. Evidence of design indicates a designer. The entire universe reflects evidence of design. This is true of the vast expanse of the cosmos as well as the smallest particles of matter. There can be no design without a designer. The Psalmist declared, “The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork” (Psa. 19:1).
2. Intelligence is reflected in the building blocks of life. The more that science learns about the sequencing of DNA they find that it reflects intelligent programming more complicated that any computer program ever written. David declared, “For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well” (Psa. 139:13-14).
3. Motion requires an “unmoved Mover.” This is a very ancient observation of nature. All around us the universe is in motion. This is true of physical motion and also or processes of nature. Everything has a source, an origin, a cause, a beginning. If we were to trace all of these effects back to the beginning we would have to acknowledge that there had to be something which served as the first cause. Unless we wanted to say everything has just always been in motion, we would have to say that something started all things but did not itself require a beginning. The Bible identifies an intelligent Creator as the first cause who started all things, but was Himself without a beginning. The Hebrew writer declares, “By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible” (Heb 11:3).
Second, we must understand that there are two types of evolution: micro-evolution (changes within a species) and macro-evolution (a species changing into another species). Here are the issues:
Macro-evolution violates the Scientific Method. For something to be scientific it must be observable and repeatable. Micro-evolution is observable and repeatable. Macro-evolution is not. There is no evidence of one species changing into another species. The fossil record does not show such evidence. Observation of micro-evolution does not show such evidence. The Bible teaches that God made all forms of life “each according to its kind” (Gen. 1:21-24). A bird is not a dog, a cow is not a fish. All mutations or inter-breeding between species render its product unable to reproduce. Macro-evolution is faith, not science.
Macro-evolution violates Scientific Laws. Scientific laws are principles with no known exceptions. Consider two laws which macro-evolution violates:
1. Macro-evolution violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This law declares that order moves to disorder unless energy is exerted. Various theories of macro-evolution all assume that the orderly structure necessary for life came by accident from chaos and disorder. The Bible teaches that God established the laws by which this universe functions. God asked Job, “Do you know the ordinances of the heavens? Can you set their dominion over the earth?” (Job 38:33).
2. Macro-evolution violates the Law of Biogenesis. This law states that all life comes from pre-existing life. Before an understanding of micro-biology many used to believe in “Spontaneous Generation.” Even scientists thought that mold produced on bread was evidence of life coming from non-living material. Now it is understood that on a microscopic level the spores which grow into what is visible life are all around us. Macro-evolution depends upon the assumption that non-living material, under the right circumstances can explode into life. Sadly many evolutionary scientists still believe in “Spontaneous Generation” in their acceptance of macro-evolution.
The Bible does teach that God breathed life into the dust from which He formed man (Gen. 2:7). That calls upon one to have faith that God existed before all other life. But the alternative is to believe that life (without any intelligent cause) by chance came into existence. In my judgment that demands even greater faith.