How Do We Glorify God?
I. What Gives Glory to God?
II. What Does Not Glorify God?
- Things Which We Offer to God.
- Confession of Sin - (Joshua 7:16-19).
“Give glory” - Hebrew cabad
- “to be heavy, be weighty,... be rich, be honourable, be glorious” (Gesenius).
- Wilson says, “This word is used to signify anything that renders a nation, person or place of weight, considerable or respectable” (Wilson’s Old Testament Word Studies, pg. 189).
- Suffering for Christ - (John 21:17-19; 1 Peter 4:12-16).
- Living As We Should - (1 Corinthians 6:18-20; Matthew 5:14-16; Philippians 1:9-11).
- Obedience to His Commands - (John 17:1)
- Things We Do Within Ourselves.
- Believing God’s Promises - (Romans 4:1-3;16-22).
“Giving glory” - Greek doxazo
- “1) to think, suppose,...2) to praise, extol, magnify, celebrate, 3) to honour, do honour to, hold in honour 4) to make glorious, adorn with lustre, clothe with splendour 4a) to impart glory to something, render it excellent 4b) to make renowned, render illustrious 4b1) to cause the dignity and worth of some person or thing to become manifest and acknowledged” (Thayer).
- Spiros Zodiates - “The consequential meaning from the opinion one forms is to recognize, honor, praise, invest with dignity, give anyone esteem or honor by putting them in an honorable position.” (Word Study Dictionary of NT, pg. 481).
- Thankfulness for What God has done for us - (Luke 17:11-19; Romans 15:7-10).
- Things Which We Do For Others.
- Declaring The Lord Before Others - (Psalm 22:22,23; Philippians 2:5-11).
- Living As We Should in the Presence of Unbelievers - (1 Peter 2:11-12).
- When We Set A Good Example - (2 Corinthians 9:12-14).
- Unity of Doctrine & Peace - (Romans 15:5-7).
- An Interest in the Welfare of Others - (1 Corinthians 10:31-33).
- Helping Others - (2 Corinthians 4:11-15; 8:16-19).
- Taking Credit Where God Deserves Credit - (Acts 12:20-23).
- Failing to Acknowledge Who He Is - (Romans 1:18-21).